Uploaded image for project: 'ZABBIX BUGS AND ISSUES'
  1. ZABBIX BUGS AND ISSUES
  2. ZBX-12079

Discovery reporting error "Values should be a JSON object" on proper JSON

    Details

    • Type: Incident report
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Major
    • Resolution: Duplicate
    • Affects Version/s: 3.2.4
    • Fix Version/s: None
    • Component/s: Proxy (P), Server (S)
    • Environment:
      Ubuntu 16.10 running Zabbix Server 3.2.4 and Proxy versions 3.2.4 or 3.0.4

      Description

      I have an issue where running a discovery is failing. This has been working for years. When looking at the host configuration > discovery there is the red "!" and it says "Value should be a JSON object." Every server, new or old, is now failing where it used to work.

      Our script or agent config hasn't changed. I have recently updated the server and all proxies except 1 to 3.2.4. The discovery items are working on servers running under the one proxy that is still on 3.0.4.

      I ran zabbix_get from the proxy to the servers to see what was being returned from the discovery, and it is in fact good JSON. I used an online validation tool to verify.

      This is an example of the discovery that shows as failed from a 3.2.4 proxy:

      $zabbix_proxy --version
      zabbix_proxy (Zabbix) 3.2.4
      Revision 65975 27 February 2017, compilation time: Mar  1 2017 04:52:47
      $zabbix_get -s server1 -k hp.discovery[fans]
      {
              "data":
              [
                      {
                              "{#FANNO}":"1_2",
                              "{#FANNAME}":"System board 1",
                              "{#FANTYPE}":"System board",
                              "{#FANVARSPEED}":"True"
                      },
                      {
                              "{#FANNO}":"3_2",
                              "{#FANNAME}":"System board 2",
                              "{#FANTYPE}":"System board",
                              "{#FANVARSPEED}":"True"
                      },
                      {
                              "{#FANNO}":"4_2",
                              "{#FANNAME}":"System board 3",
                              "{#FANTYPE}":"System board",
                              "{#FANVARSPEED}":"True"
                      }
              ]
      }
      

      And here is a discovery that is working from the 3.0.4 proxy:

      $ zabbix_proxy --version
      zabbix_proxy (Zabbix) 3.0.4
      Revision 61185 15 July 2016, compilation time: Aug  6 2016 04:21:45
      $zabbix_get -s server2 -k hp.discovery[fans]
      {
              "data":
              [
                      {
                              "{#FANNO}":"1_2",
                              "{#FANNAME}":"System board 1",
                              "{#FANTYPE}":"System board",
                              "{#FANVARSPEED}":"True"
                      },
                      {
                              "{#FANNO}":"3_2",
                              "{#FANNAME}":"System board 2",
                              "{#FANTYPE}":"System board",
                              "{#FANVARSPEED}":"True"
                      },
                      {
                              "{#FANNO}":"4_2",
                              "{#FANNAME}":"System board 3",
                              "{#FANTYPE}":"System board",
                              "{#FANVARSPEED}":"True"
                      }
              ]
      }
      

      When compared, they are the exact same. The only difference is what proxy they are going through. Attached are screenshots of the failed and working configuration > host > discovery rules pages.

        Attachments

          Issue Links

            Activity

              People

              • Assignee:
                Unassigned
                Reporter:
                nick0909 Nick Duke
              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                Watchers:
                3 Start watching this issue

                Dates

                • Created:
                  Updated:
                  Resolved: