If you want to remove a linked template from a template with a imported xml in frontend or API configuration.import it will not get unlinked.
- Template A is linked to Template B and Template C
- Template A is exported with xml
- xml is modified to now just link A to B but not C anymore
- xml is then imported through Frontend or through API
- Template A is still linked to Template B and C
I stumbled over this through my usage of Ansible ( see https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/66720 ). Ansible is using booth api calls in the module - template.update for "single" changes and configuration.import for importing a file.
The problem is, that Zabbix API template.update is behaving correctly imo while configuration.import is not.