ZBXNEXT-98 introduced a wonderful feature into Zabbix 2.2.3 - a way to request multiple variables in a single GetRequest-PDU. This helped reduce network traffic and load on SNMP devices.
However, not all devices can handle GetRequest-PDU with multiple variable bindings. Here is an overview of the currently known issues:
1. Lotus application, even though monitored through SNMPv2, behaves like SNMPv1 (
2. Cisco device is sometimes returning "noSuchInstance" for variables that are thought to exist (
3. a small device is returning only one variable in responses, even though requests contains multiple variables (
4. another device is returning a mix of values and "noSuchInstance" errors, changes the first OID to "0.0.0" and sends a valid value for the original OID (
5. yet another device usually, but not always, answers with "noSuchName" for requests with multiple variable bindings (
6. NetApp device returns a strange value for CPU load when it is requested in a GetRequest-PDU with multiple variable bindings ( https://www.zabbix.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45200 ), and so on.
While some of these cases are trivial to detect and provide a workaround for a small set of devices, others are perfectly standard-conformant responses and irregularity in SNMP operation cannot be detected that easily.
The proposed solution is to provide a checkbox for each interface that would say whether multiple items can be queried simultaneously on that interface or not.
reverse specification attempt at https://www.zabbix.org/wiki/Docs/specs/ZBXNEXT-2301